Saturday, July 2, 2011

My Modest Herb Garden

A great way to enhance flavor, add color and nutrients to your foods is by simply using herbs. I love the freshness and complexity that herbs, from parsley and cilantro to sage and rosemary, can bring to my dishes.  I wish I had more space to have a full garden of every herb and an assortment of vegetables, but unfortunately I don't. Yet I can still enjoy growing a few of my favorites to add to a variety of dishes and even drinks. 




Nutritional facts of Herbs
  • Herbs contain unique anti-oxidants, essential oils, vitamins, phyto-sterols and many other plants derived nutrient substances which help equip our body to fight against germs, toxins and to boost immunity level. Herbs are, in fact, medicines in smaller dosages.
  • Essential oils in herbs have been found to have anti-inflammatory function by inhibiting the enzyme cycloxygenase (COX), which mediates inflammatory cascade reactions in the body. This enzyme-inhibiting effect of essential oils in herbs makes it an important remedy for symptomatic relief for individuals with inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis, osteo-arthritis and inflammatory bowel conditions like ulcerative colitis.

  • Many unique compounds in the herbs have been found to reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics.

  • Controlled epidemiological studies have shown that certain compounds like thiosulfinates (allicin) found in garlic can bring significant reduction in total cholesterol and in blood pressure; helps prevent coronary artery disease and stroke risk.

  • Curcumin, along with other antioxidants in the turmeric, has been found to have anti-amyloid and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus; is effective in preventing or at least delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.

  • The volatile oils, vitamins and antioxidants in the herbs have cytotoxicity action against prostate, pancreatic, colon, endometrial...etc cancer cells.

  • The ingredients in the herbs have been found to be anti-spasmodic, carminative, diaphoretic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, deodorant, digestive, antiseptic, lipolytic (weight loss action), stimulant and stomachic actions when taken in appropriate dosage.



Last night was a beautiful warm evening on the Bay.  We decided to enjoy a glass of wine (already I'm deviating from my sugar-free diet) and a steak.  One of our favorites recipes is filet mignon with mushroom cream sauce, so I had to find a way to have this while staying on the new diet. Easiest way was to make the cream sauce for him and eat my steak just perfectly seasoned, with a few sauteed shallots and mushrooms. Unfortunately, I ate it before I got to take a photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment