Sunday, July 3, 2011

A beer garden in Wine Country?!?

As I've been told I have a sugar intolerance/ allergy, I am not supposed to drink any alcohol because of its naturally high sugar content - wine, beer or hard liquor.  As you can probably see my my photos and text, I am having a hard time on this holiday weekend abstaining.  So I still wanted to travel north from Sausalito to Sonoma, a quick 35-40 min drive, to enjoy the nice weather, scenery and, of course, the great wine that surrounds us.  The moment we pass through Sonoma County the air is thicker and so much warmer. We make a stop at Viansa Winery for a wine tasting; we especially enjoyed their Cab Franc Reserve.  After, we venture into town to taste what's on draft at the new-ish beer garden Hopmonk.  

As a Austrian American and living with a German, I have an understanding and affection for the Austrian/ German style beer garden that Americans haven't yet fully experienced in this country.  It's a beautiful thing - sitting outdoors surrounded by trees, wood communal tables, rustic food and obviously, the quality draft or bottled beer that is all enjoyed in a outside setting.  I'm happy to see that Sonoma ventures into something other than wine.  Guido enjoyed a nice burger and coleslaw with his Kellerbier and I had a simple salad with my Hefeweizen. The waitress was so cool and chill when I listed my food intolerances that she even said she'd press the "no dairy and gluten" buttons on the ordering computer...who knew they even had such a thing. Guido made sure that when she pressed my "special" buttons she pressed the "unhealthy" button for him. Cheers to that! And everything about this wonderful day!







No comments:

Post a Comment