Wednesday, August 24, 2011

In My Lunch Box - Tuna, Quinoa and Millet Salad

I find it important that I eat nourishing and satisfying meals at work as well as at home, meaning I need to have these foods on hand at the office in order to stay on track and not deviate when I get really hungry and possibly raid the office snack cabinets! Most days I take a prepared lunch box with me to work. It's often hard to prepare lunches early in the morning before my commute so I put aside a couple hours on Sunday to make a couple meals. Even if I just prepare my protein and make a simple salad in the morning, without dressing, I have done most of the work and can just box up and stick in the office refrigerator until I'm ready. There, I can toss with a little oil, vinegar and gomasio that I keep at my desk, and lunch can be served...

Below is a recipe for Tuna and Quinoa Salad


Tuna, Quinoa and Millet Salad

Prepare Quinoa and Millet as directed and let cool to room temperature. 

In a large bowl mix one can tuna, 1 Tb. mayonnaise, 1 Tb. Gomasio, dash of cayenne pepper, 1 Tb oil of your choice, 1 Tb. vinegar apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. In another bowl, whisk 1 Tb oil and 1 Tb. vinegar; toss over arugula leaves, thinly sliced red cabbage, and 2 diced tomatoes or a handful of small pear or cherry tomatoes.  Add tuna mix to cooked quinoa/millet; gently mix. Toss with arugula mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve or box up for tomorrow's lunch! 


No comments:

Post a Comment